Monday, October 19, 2009

Humility with Jesus

Saturday, October 17, 2009
Luke 18:9-14

“For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled. And he who humbles himself will be exalted.” I had an experience today that kicked me hard. I am always thinking that, God has build me up so much that I am above everyone around me. I owe it all to God for this, but thinking that I’m above everyone else is so “exalting myself” that I feel like God’s rebuking me.

Yep, this isn’t what I would want, especially to see myself from afar. I really don’t mind, after being convicted, to now be humbled by God. I can’t believe I actually thought of doing life skipping my daily devotions. Now I know why I feel so empty most of the time. Pastor Alex talked about putting relationship with Jesus over responsibilities and I fully agree.

How close you are with God is determined by how well you know who God is. He really doesn’t like us to exalt ourselves. You may go up fast by you will soon come down.

However, I’m still confused about humility in that should you show your talents off or should you just hide it away until secretly somebody finds out about it and suddenly God has exalted you to become like a worship leader or something? Well I believe this is false humility. You should never hide your talents. However, you should not center attention on your talents either. Humility, as I have learnt, is based on your respect for others and on how you love others as God loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment